Monday, February 28, 2011

W.O.C.K On Vinyl - Doctorin' The Tardis (The Tmelords / KLF - 1988)


.Before things get too serious here at Rock On Vinyl, I thought it might be fun to post a song at the end of each month, that could be categorized as being either Weird, Obscure, Crazy or just plain Korny.
.
.
"Doctorin' the Tardis" is a 1988 electronic novelty pop single by The Timelords ("Time Boy" and "Lord Rock", aliases of Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty, better known as The KLF). The song is predominantly a mash-up of the Doctor Who theme music, Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll (Part Two)" with sections from "Blockbuster!" by Sweet and "Let's Get Together Tonite" by Steve Walsh. The single was panned by critics but became a commercial success, reaching number 1 in the UK Singles Chart and charting in the Top 10 in Australia and Norway. In promotional material for the single, credit for the talent behind the song (inspiration and authorship) was attributed not to Time Boy and Lord Rock but to "Ford Timelord," Cauty's 1968 Ford Galaxie American police car reg plate "WGU 18G", formerly known as the JAMsmobile.

The car, which had previously appeared on the cover of The JAMs' album Who Killed The JAMs?, was thematically tailored to The JAMs, depicting their 'pyramid blaster' emblem on its doors and the number 23 on its roof. Drummond and Cauty claimed the car spoke to them, giving its name as Ford Timelord, and advising the duo to become "The Timelords".
Ford featured prominently on the sleeve of "Doctorin' the Tardis", where it is quoted as saying:
 
Dear Punter
The name is Ford Timelord and I'm the leader of the group. You're probably wondering how me, a yank cop car, is now a local Essex boy making records. I was born in Detroit in 1968, my father worked for the car people there, but in 1970 he got promotion. it meant the family relocating to the Dagenham plant in Essex, England. I grew up always being the odd one out in the junior parking lot and on the runs to Southend, but my looks got me cameo and character parts in movies that were being filmed over here. Superman 3 was my biggest break. I fancied my chances in the music game cause I know what people want to hear. So I mixed and matched some tunes we all know and love, got some mates down and made this record. Sounds like a hit to me. Success and fame? I can handle it. I've got more going for me than most of the cardboard cut out excuses for pop stars around at the moment.. After this I reckon I could be an all round show biz personality, host my own chat show, something like that. Yours Ford


The "Timelord" component of Ford's name is derived from the Time Lords, a fictional alien race from the planet Gallifrey in Doctor Who. The car was obviously inspired by the Blues Brother 'Bluesmobile'. The "Doctorin' the Tardis" music video features Ford Timelord driving around the countryside in pursuit of some rather crudely designed Daleks, his wailing siren audible throughout. The video was filmed in part at the now defunct RAF Yatesbury, a Royal Air Force base in Wiltshire, and - according to The Timelords - cost in the region of £8,000 to make.

KLF are probably Britian's Craziest yet Cleverest Pop duo ever. Anyone who can get a car to have a number one hit single, Doctorin’ The Tardis by 'The Timelords" sold nearly one million copies in 1988, and then write a book about it titled 'How To Have A Number One The Easy Way' knows exactly what they are doing.


Crazy or not - I like this song (particular the cameo voices of the Daleks and their '
Exterminate' cries) and it deserves a place in this month's W.O.C.K on Vinyl post. I have included both A and B sides of the single "Doctorin' the Tardis" / "Doctorin' The Tardis - Minimal Mix" (ripped to mp3 at 320kps) along with covers.
.
Doctorin' The Tardis Link (18Mb)
New Link 27/06/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment